Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Something's kind of bugging me...

Which may not be surprising to anyone that knows me. Ha. Anyway, yesterday was a primary election voting day. I researched the issues on the ballot. I voted even though it's not one of the "big" elections. I took my kids along because I feel it's important for them to see the process and it opens up dialogue about why I'm doing it. Anyway, since I became a registered voter, I've done my best to be an informed voter and to also use my power to vote.

So the issue...I am probably not liked by some of my neighbors because...well...sometimes, I can be a bit of a word that rhymes with witch. I have also snitched on my neighbors to the entire neighborhood listserv when they were using a cannon to make a big explosion noise...BETWEEN THE HOUSES...IN THE CITY!!!!! I digress, certain neighbors like to kind of schmooze with other neighbors (both on the block and throughout the neighborhood), not unlike politicians, and basically try to win a block, even neighborhood-wide, popularity contest. I don't necessarily need that sort of validation in my life. I know not everyone is going to like me. So to each his own.

Last night at the National Night Out block party our Alderman stopped in for a visit. The group of men I was standing with all said hello. A certain neighbor, we'll call him Schmoozy, made it a point to verify for everyone that he personally knows the Alderman. Then something happened that made me think. The Alderman saw my "I voted" sticker and said, "This lady's my friend. I'm Steve Conway your Alderman."

I said, "Yes, I know. I'm 'ME.' Nice to meet you. This is my husband 'Dirty.'"

He said, "I'm glad to see that you've been out to vote."

Schmoozy interjects to the Alderman, "Well, I didn't know that you were on the ballot. If I'd of known that, I would have voted today."

The Alderman, looking a little quizzical, and I say at the same time, "I/he wasn't on the ballot. That's not what this election was for." Schmoozy had to redirect after his faux pas and decided to highlight some tacos another neighbor made. I'm sure he felt (in a sing-songy voice) 'awkward.' The Alderman then said it was nice to meet me and went on to tell his son that there were carne asada tacos. So I guess the whole thing isn't bugging me as much as it's showing me that Schmoozy is a social climber that thinks knowing the right people, places him in a better station than the people he might not like and that he is above things...like the law (hence shooting off a cannon, three times, without a permit). Unfortunately, in trying to show his connections, he also showed his lack of intelligence on matters like the political process and the fact that he doesn't really feel that the right to vote is all that important. I'll take being unpopular and being a snitch.

2 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

The thing about humans is, they can be annoying.

HalfPint said...

Some humans more so then other humans........I am surprised that Schmoozy even knew that in America we still vote - so let's give him that much....and then kick him to the curb......unless his fall would make his robe fall open - eww.