Monday, July 14, 2008

No more satellite for this family...

And here are shows that I'm going to miss.

1. The Graham Norton Show-He may be the funniest person to watch...ever. I laugh out loud so much during this show that my stomach usually hurts afterwards. That usually only happens when I'm out with my girl friends.
2. Jon and Kate plus 8-I like that when I watch this show I realize that they are raising six kids the same age as Monkey. I actually have it pretty easy. It's also inspirational (even if they don't think they are) because they are handling it with 2 7-8 year olds and 6 3-4 year olds. There are times when I'm stressed out about just one of each age group and think, "Jon and Kate do this only so much more." Plus I wish that I was as dedicated as she was to prepare almost every meal at home and for it to be mainly organic fresh food. It's amazing.
3. Flipping Out-I may never know if Jenny and Chris made up with Jeff. Okay so I'll be able to still see their blogs on bravotv.com but it's not the same as watching a whole episode. Also, Jeff has a wicked sense of humor and I really liked watching him. I look at the people he's hired and think, "Man that job would be pretty easy. Why isn't Chris Elwood just doing the things on the list? It's not like any of the items take that much time. And not only that but he gets paid well to do them. I wish my "job" paid. It's practically the same job."
4. Iron Chef America-I <3 Alton Brown and Kevin Brauch. Oooh Oooh Oooh and Michael Symon.
5. The Next Food Network Star-Will the lady with squinty eyes and great fashion sense be "The Next Food Network Star"? At first she annoyed the heck out of me but now I like her and feel that she is the most qualified. I wish I had the money to have her wardrobe. Although I don't think I could chase after Monkey in Jimmy Choos.
6.You Are What You Eat-I wish that I could make money as a nutritionist. I also like the knowledge I got from that show on food nutrition and physiology.
7. Ace of Cakes-That would be one fun job working in a bakery with artsy people joking around and creating cakes.
8. Top Chef-Oh the drama!!!
9. That Mitchell and Webb Look-This is a sketch comedy from Britain that is hilarious. Although when I started watching it I had a hard time watching the real BBC news documentaries on "interesting people with problems". See they had this sketch on a documentary about a man with something like 7 penises. Then through the whole sketch there is a voiceover about "Now you can stare at this person with a deformity without feeling guilty." Of course the deformities they used were always ridiculous but I had trouble watching the real BBC news documentaries that I had recorded and watched religiously after this show. The poor guy with 7 penises had to clean his bathroom more often than I do which was very very sad. ;D
10. Little People, Big World-I like watching this and I'm not really sure why. I've enjoyed watching the kids grow up. I also like to watch the mom. I would like to be as centered as she seems to be when my boys are in their late teens about them growing up.

I can't think of any other shows at the moment so there may be a part 2 in the near future.

6 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

I never lived in a house with cable until I was in my mid-20s, then I rarely watched it. Remember when I had my apartment on Alberta and you let me borrow that TV? -- I only used it twice.

I think you may go through a short period of withdrawal, then you'll recover. James and I have talked about getting rid of cable, but he might die without baseball and baseball related news.

Me said...

I will say that one good thing about no satellite is that I have been reading more. I will just have to reach out to those that read a wide variety of books and ask for recommendations to make requests at the library.

This whole "having a lot of time to read" will come in handy this next week since I still have to pick up my book club book of the month at the library and read it by next Tuesday. Although if I don't finish it in time it won't really matter seeing as how we rarely talk more that 15 minutes about whatever book we've read.

HalfPint said...

Where did your satellite go? What is the difference between that and cable?

Me said...

@half-pint...we cancelled our satellite service in order to save $60/month. It's the same thing as cable.

HalfPint said...

When we were there we had basic cable and it was only $13 a month. Satellite must have the expensive channels then - we were able to see all the shows you listed with cable.

Anonymous said...

the squinty but ridiculously well coiffed lady had better win the next food network star. we are ashamedly addicted to that show in this house. and i'm not sure that's how you spell coiffed. but gosh if her hair isn't perfection.