Thursday, May 21, 2009

A recipe...

After taking a bruschetta dish to a MOMS Night Out and getting many requests (if three or four requests equals many), I thought I'd post a little blog entry. Sorry there are no pictures. I do finally have a new, extremely nice camera, but I'm working on uploading and editing the pictures. And I didn't think, at the time of making the bruschetta topping, that I would make a blog entry about it.

Bruschetta Pomodoro

About 3/4 pound (5-6) plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
About 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, cubed (optional, but I LOVE cheese)

1 French baguette
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine the first 9-10 ingredients in a bowl; cover and let stand at least 30 minutes.

Cut the baguette into 20 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices. Brush both sides of slices with olive oil. Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat (350 to 400 degrees F) 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden.

I believe that this method would actually produce crostini and not bruschetta. However, for anyone that just loves food, and doesn't care as much about the terminology or history, we'll stick with the name that The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook gave the recipe which is Bruschetta Pomodoro. Afterall, I would hate to end up seeming like Stephen from the first season of Top Chef about his wine pairings and incessant need to educate others. Finally, if you love capers, olives, or other cured and briny foods this is an extremely yummy recipe that I think you'll enjoy.

3 comments:

Elke said...

Super yummy! Thanks!

TMA said...

I can vouch for the bruschetta or whatever it is supposed to be! Very yummy!

I have the Southern Living cookbook and love it...is that your new one or had it? Wonder if it is the same one/version?

HalfPint said...

Oh!!! Do Mojitos too - I lost the last one you gave me.