Tuesday, June 30, 2009

His favorite...

My four year old has lots of favorites. His favorite transformer is Ironhide. His favorite stuffed animal is Seashell, the stingray. His favorite food is cheese. Tonight I learned his favorite curse word. It wasn't so bad. We were watching a movie. He smiled when a character said pissed. I asked why he was smiling. He replied, "I'm smiling because he said my favorite curse word." I asked, "You have a favorite curse word?!"

"Yes. It starts with a 'P'." Just to make sure, and I'm not completely sure why I felt the need to, I asked, "Is it pissed?" Grinning really big he said, "Yes. That's my favorite curse word." I couldn't help but giggle. He looked at me and asked, "What?!" He used it a few more times under his breath in the next couple minutes. The fact that he wanted to share with me what his favorite curse word was touched me, however inappropriate that might be. I think part of what made me giggle is the fact that he even has a favorite curse word. HE'S FOUR! He knows he shouldn't use it, and I didn't want to make it "forbidden fruit". So I let him say it a few times to get it out of his system.

3 comments:

Franchesca said...

*grins* I would bet you asked because somewhere in all of us is that same 4 year old who wants to try out powerful words. I remember sitting in the swings in my backyard all by myself saying "shit". It was like magic. And I totally understand why you like that he confided in you. Who wouldn't like that?

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

When I was in high school, one of my teachers told me about her daughter taddling on some boys for saying the F word.

It tuns out, that F word was actually FART.

Me said...

One of my favorite stories about kids and bad words: I was volunteering at Marcus' preschool and a little boy had just become a big brother. I was asking him if he liked being a big brother. He said, "Yes, but sometimes when I try to help my mom and dad say bad words to me." Intrigued, I asked, "What words do they say to you?" I couldn't imagine his parents saying anything really "bad" but you just never know. His face looked so serious and he said "Sometimes they say, 'Be careful!'" It was another time I couldn't help but giggle.