Thursday, June 25, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson...

I think that John Mayer, my cohort, summed it up best when he twittered, "I think we'll mourn his loss as well as the loss of ourselves as children listening to Thriller on the record player." I remember listening to Thriller on a record player when my family lived a block from Tower Grove Park on Lackland. My sister had a poster of Michael on the wall and she may have also had the crystal-studded glove. Everyone wanted the zipper covered leather jacket and while it was out of reach for us, we were able to afford his albums. They were still albums then, at least for us, because we didn't own a cassette tape player. It's unfortunate that his reputation was marred with child-molestation accusations and other craziness involving buying the "Elephant Man's" skeleton. Thinking back on my childhood and even early teen years there were many of his songs that added to the soundtrack that is my life. Remember the theme song to "Free Willy" or the video "It's black, it's white." That video had cutting edge computer generated morphing images. Not only that but it also had Naomi Campbell (pre-crazy psycho throwing her cell phones at assistants) and Macaulay Culkin in it. I also remember when I was at my grandma's, who had cable at the time, and Thriller came on, I was told I couldn't watch it. I hid under the army green afghan and watched through the holes. I know that not everyone will, but I'm going to remember him for those good memories, and not the media-frenzy memories where they just wanted to knock him down. Goodbye, Michael.

4 comments:

Franchesca said...

I do understand what you mean. I hope the man finally finds some peace. No matter what the rumors were, he simply never struck me as being happy. It is sad.

HalfPint said...

Oh man!! I couldn't get past the first sentence of John Mayer being your cohort!! He is no friend of smart women. Dump him. Ack!! The rest of it though - well written.

Me said...

Cohort is simply defined as-a group of persons sharing a particular statistical or demographic characteristic. That's all I meant as cohort. I don't think I'd like to date him. But I do think he is smart and funny...and a fine musician. But I think we've had this conversation about the fact that he'd dated Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt. More recently, it's been stated that he and Jennifer Aniston just used each other for publicity. Nice.

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

What a coincidence... I'm using you for publicity. HA!