Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo recipes...

Just in case you need some quick recipes (and hopefully Schnucks on The Hill has restocked because it was slim pickin's yesterday :). I like this recipe for margaritas. And this is my favorite mixed drink which are mojitos. Most resturants don't make them, and I've only like this recipe which makes a whole pitcher. Be careful with these. They are extremely tasty and you might not noticed just how potent they are.

For salsa (I make it fresh): I take one small onion, a clove or two of garlic, a handful of cilantro, and one whole jalapeno (more if you like it really spicy...Dirty likes three. I know he's crazy. He likens it to getting tattoos. He knows it's painful but he still endures it.) and throw all of that in a food pro (i<3 kevin brauch and alton brown) and pulse until finely chopped. Then add four tomatoes that have been quartered, the juice of one freshly squeezed lime, and a pinch of salt. Enjoy with corn tortilla chips.*
*I can't get the salsa picture to come through right. I've tried three times and now I give up.



For guacamole (again I like it fresh...and chunky. No blended, can't tell what's in it, baby food texture guac for me.): Take two avocados, cut in half, remove the pit, score a criss cross pattern in the flesh, and scoop out with a spoon. Add two diced tomatoes, a handful of chopped cilantro, one fresh jalapeno pepper, one or two cloves of garlic, and a small onion all finely diced. Then add a pinch of salt and ground cumin and the juice of one freshly squeezed lime. Gently fold the ingredients together, being careful not to break up the avocado too much, and enjoy!!!

5 comments:

TMA said...

Not that there is anything wrong with a whole pitcher of mojitos, or any drink for that matter, that recipe looks like you could easily half or even quarter it. I am not a huge mint fan so have not jumped on the mojito bandwagon. However, I have not really tried a good one so who knows? Theresa

HalfPint said...

If you ever have the chance to try Me's mojitos - treat yourself!! She does a fab job at making them. Many times people add too much sugar - but hers are perfect, albeit very strong (nothing wrong with that though).

Me said...

@tma-doing the math might cause me to want to drink more mojitos than I really should. :D
@half-pint-and you don't like mint either. thanks for the compliments.

HalfPint said...

I like the way you used the little "@" thingy.

Me said...

@ half-pint- It's a little trick that I've stolen from some of the more blog saavy bloggers. I've also seen it used on twitter.