Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Snail Day...

I've been trying to occupy the days with water play, craft activities, and outside play. One day this week while playing outside in the water Yellow Belt found a worm and a snail. Monkey melted down because he didn't have any and Yellow Belt wasn't sharing. Dirty happened to call (to check in on how the day was going which was not so good at that point) and he let me in on the whereabouts of a snail habitat in our very own backyard with tons of snails. So we went back to the habitat and collected snails, after we created a snail sanctuary on the porch, played with the poor snails for a while, then released the snails back into their habitat (because we are all about animal conservation...just like the Irwins). We went in and had lunch where I thought about what kind of craft we could do to take up some time in the afternoon.

Originally I was going to just make a snail picture but our glue sources are low. Our tape sources are also slightly low so I remembered that we still have a ton of contact paper from a centerpiece that we did for Yellow Belts Blue and Gold Scout Banquet. It was perfect because the pieces of construction paper stick to the sheet of contact paper and you just layer another piece on top. This helps keep all of the construction paper in place in case it's not touching enough contact paper on one side it is on the other. I cut out the snail "shells" which were brown circles and blue snail "bodies" which were blue little finger looking things. I let the boys cut out their own grass and rip their own leaves. So then they put all of their leaves and grass on the contact paper and then placed their snails in and amongst the grass and leaves. After they finished I placed the top sheet of contact paper and cut a border around the sides. They really liked creating their new placemats.

Overall, it was a fun summer day. And now I have to top it. :D

3 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

I'll have to show you how to draw a simple snail. The boys (all three of them) will think you're an artistic genius. I'm pretty sure I learned how to do this when I was about three - and to this day it's impressive to both adults and children (who've not used my technique).

I can also draw a simple pig.

And a simple bunny face.

Call me.

HalfPint said...

I am glad that unlike the Irwins you have chosen to help those creatures that won't later attack and kill you. Although I suppose there are dangerous snails somewhere in the world.

To top snail day....hmmmm.....Maybe you could show the boys how to deliciously cook up some of those snails in Part II of Snail Day - Escargot Day!

Me said...

@half-pint...Yellow Belt informed me that since the snails are not colorful that they are edible. I think they've stopped at things that don't bite or sting or have venom only because I've made them. Yellow Belt does want to adopt a manatee. He is absolutely sure that we could house a baby...at least. :D