Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Goodbye sleepless, nursing nights...



I made my first sale on Craigslist today! I sold my old glider rocker and ottoman. It was missing a decorative button and was stained on all the used parts, but with a little Resolv-it, it could look lovely again. It went to a lovely couple, S and A, who are expecting. Congratulations S and A! I hope that it is as comfortable for them as it has been for us.

We bought the rocker when we were expecting The Scientist. I would sit up in it, with a boppy pillow around my waist, nursing The Scientist, many times falling asleep myself while trying to rock him to sleep. I don't long for those sleepless nights, but I do happily reminisce about him being oh so little, curled up in my arm, a little bundle I had the hardest time figuring out. Being a mom and taking care of a baby did not come naturally to me, despite all the "practice" I had playing house and with dolls. It did help me with changing diapers, juggling a baby in an arm or on a hip while doing other things simultaneously, and changing clothes on something so tiny and seemingly fragile.

So goodbye sleepless, nursing nights. Goodbye tiny babies. (You know what though, me saying these things and purging all this baby stuff, I'll probably end up unexpectedly pregnant.) No, I'm on a different trail now of personal, developmental growth and the freedom that comes with your children getting older. I like this time too, but there's just something about holding a sleeping infant that's all swaddled. Sigh.

No comments: