Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm going to school!!!...UPDATE!!!

Well I'm going back to school. I successfully navigated that which is community college and 1.)had my student status changed to "regular" so that my credits would count and I can get financial aid 2.)sat with a counselor and made up a schedule 3.)met with a financial aid officer to fill out an appeal because my last set of grades from CC were no good. Now that those things are finished I am waiting for a letter stating that my appeal has been granted (so that I can get financial aid) and wait for my student ID to come in the mail. After sitting with a counselor I found out that my previously taken Biology class is no good because it's too old. So unfortunately I have to retake it. However, because of our current financial situation (which won't be that way forever) I was approved for a federal pell grant. That pell grant will cover EVERYTHING!!!! It will pay for all of my classes and I think it will cover all of my book expenses as well.

It was really a lovely surprise after waiting in the Financial Aid waiting area for 45 minutes to find out that it will all be covered. I am also proud to say that I kept a smile on my face and treated everyone kindly and with respect. First of all me with a smile on my face for three hours at a time is not something that happens often. Secondly to keep a smile on your face while dealing with crabby front desk FA guy, who is acting like you are extremely annoying for even thinking about asking him if the category that you signed in with is the correct category because you don't want to get sent to the wrong person only to find out that you had categorized yourself with the wrong number and then to cause frustration for them and me and also wasting my time and theirs, is not an easy feat. (Nice run on right? I might have better writing skills after I take my English 102-Intensive writing course.)

So now I am registered for four classes: Intro to Biology, General Psychology, Intro to Sociology, and College Comp II. I'm excited! I'm really looking forward to starting even though the girl who helped me get my id acted like I was a crazy person for taking the courses I'm taking. They aren't any different than the courses I was signing up for 10 years ago. I didn't really understand why she was acting like that. I'm more worried about statistics, macro economics, logic, and ethics. I guess I am slightly worried that I'll have nothing to write about for my College Comp II course. I don't do well if I'm not given a clear subject to draw from, and I'd rather not all of my papers be about all the day to day hum drum that is my life. I guess that's what this blog is about but is it really enough to carry a good grade in a college course??? I don't know.

Okay well before I freak myself out to much about the courses that I'm going to take this semester and in the future... send good thoughts my way and that of the appeals person in the financial aid office. I already know that I have favor but when two or more are gathered together...

3 comments:

HalfPint said...

Congrats on the leap!! Now, will this all then go towards the nursing degree you talked about earlier? or do you have a new direction now?

Me said...

Yes this is the very beginning of my plans to pursue a nursing degree...and thank you!!!

Buddesatva said...

Sounds like a great idea. Let me know what I can do to help and support. You are so bright and patient. I think you will be a wonderful nurse.