Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to School Part Two...

I spent today:

I walked and ran for about 45 minutes today. Then I stretched for about 15 minutes. This is something I'm hoping to keep up. I've always wanted to be a runner. I'm not so good with the endurance portion of any activity. But I was inspired by E, who started in a similar position and then ran the Chicago Marathon. So I'm hoping to get in shape, have my clothes fit better, and just be more healthy.

On facebook tending my farm. I've decided I don't really like Farm Town because I don't know how I feel about people trying to chat me up when I'm on my farm. Plus when I go to the market with my stuff, it's a little creepy for people to be in the market place wanting work and begging people looking for people to do work. I don't know. More power to the people who like it. I have some family on there and a few friends, but it's not really an avenue that I want to take to keep in contact with people. I generally am more the type of person to not really keep in close contact with anyone. It's who I am.

I also did laundry. I finished up what Dirty started this weekend while I was gone on my trip to Ohio to see my mom and brothers. I did a few more loads so the boys have clothes to wear tomorrow.

I vacuumed and swept my floors. Sometimes I feel like vacuuming is a bit of a waste because our carpet is so disgusting from 9 years of us living on it and never being professionally shampooed. But I do enjoy walking barefoot throughout my house and not having anything get stuck on the plantar surfaces of my feet.

I cleaned the bathroom while I daydreamed about slipping into The Royale for a midday cocktail. After which, I went into the kitchen on autopilot to make an iced coffee and accidentally started to make a cocktail instead. So I dumped out the liquor, luckily I snapped to before I wasted too much, and made the iced coffee.

I watched some Flight of the Conchords clips on youtube. Business Time is one of my favorites. But really all of their stuff is hilarious.

Then I went to the bus stops. Well, really I stood in between the two stops hoping that they didn't both come at the same time. I had no idea which direction they were going to come from. So I walked quickly between the two stops everytime I thought one of their buses might have arrived. Dirty was on his way home, and I knew that the buses would be running late since it was the first day, but I was worried nonetheless. So I saw SC come out of her house and start walking to the stop. It did occur to me, in one of my many trips back and forth between blocks, that The Scientist might be old enough to get off of the bus himself and walk to where I was waiting for Monkey who is not allowed off of the bus unless a parent or guardian is there to receive him. SC let me know that, yes, indeed The Scientist can get off of the bus without a parent or caregiver there. And we talked about some other logistics. The buses did come about the same time. The Scientist's bus got their first and as we walked to, and arrived at, Monkey's stop, his bus showed up. I talked with the Scientist to see how he would feel about walking, the two blocks to where I would be waiting for Monkey, by himself. I would never be okay with this in other circumstances, but, in this instance, I would be able to see him get off the bus and walk toward me the entire way. He's been asking me, for at least a year now, if he could walk home by himself...when his school was about two miles away. But now, he's a little older, I trust his judgement when crossing the street, and he's ready for a little more responsibility. So tomorrow, is day one of The Scientist walking two blocks to where I'll be waiting for Monkey. I really do enjoy some of the things about the boys getting older.

Both boys had great days at school. We went to Cici's as a special treat for the first day. The boys got to play video games while we were there and get little trinkets from the "gumball" machines. Then we came home. I cleaned the kitchen, which had fallen into disrepair from the soccer practice nights of the week, while Dirty put the boys to bed.

And now I'm blogging, listening to more Flight of the Conchords, and will probably head to bed soon...after I fold another load of laundry. Tomorrow, is the last day of school for the week. Sometime this weekend we're going to Elephant Rock's. We'd originally planned to go on Saturday, but then I started worrying about all the people that might be out then too. So we might save it for Sunday, when less people are out and about.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Wow, I'm flattered to inspire! You really CAN do it. Believe me, I was the most un-athletic, out of shape girl around!
And Amen on the Sunday activities - far fewer people to deal with, which we all love.