Monday, August 3, 2009

Summer Shower aka Zeus Says "Go Inside"...

It was mid-afternoon, about the time that I feel like taking a nap, and the same time that the boys want to run back and forth through the house chasing, tackling, and catching each other while giggling and screaming, let's be honest, their heads off. I see no problem with that, except that we live on the second floor and have downstairs neighbors. I try to be considerate and prohibit things like jumping off the top bunk while pretending to sky dive or playing "Whack-a-Mole Towering Tower" (thank you grandparents) at the very least when the neighbors are home. We are a loud family. I'm sure our neighbors know it and talk about us with each other. Sometimes we don't quite know when to put on a more "public" face and being that our neighbors are pretty close and every little scratch or sneeze bounces off of the bricks in the city, I'm sure they know more about us than they would ever care to know.

I got off track, this particular day our downstairs neighbor C. was home and the boys had a ton of energy to expel, so I made them go outside. At that point in the summer, the bugs weren't so bad. Please don't get me started about how I get eaten alive every time I go near the door now. I'm sick of scratching, but I'm glad I now have nails.

Once again off track, so I saw that it was windy outside and figured the mosquitoes would have a harder time controlling their flight patterns because of the wind. Not ten minutes after we went outside it started thundering. The Scientist started in with "Zeus is saying we are supposed to go inside!" and "Zeus is very angry! He's going to attack us!" I was thinking there is no way I'm taking you guys inside just to have to running, bouncing, banging off of every hard surface just because of a little thunder. I told them we could go inside if Zeus started throwing lightning bolts. At first, they sat on the porch with me. Monkey ate a snack of shredded carrots, chickpeas, and orange bell pepper. The Scientist played with some dinosaur figures. Then Monkey finished his snack.

After his snack, he started getting his hands wet and making hand prints on the wall between the front doors of our house and our neighbors. That turned into running out into the rain for a few seconds then racing back up the steps onto the porch. Which then turned into moving a little further down the sidewalk. Eventually, The Scientist wanted to join in so he ran out and started getting wet. Once they were both thoroughly soaked, they realized they were having fun running around in the summer shower. So we stayed outside and the boys ran back and forth on the sidewalk, beat the crap out of a tree, and pretended to be "seekers" like Huntik on cw4kids. When they started to get cold they came up on the porch, where there was some sword fighting and being skittish in front of the camera. After quite a few tries, I did get a decent picture of both of them.

My final note, that doesn't really have anything to do with summer showers or Zeus, I will not be using Photobucket.com again. The site is so slow and it takes forever to edit pictures. I used slide.com for this.

1 comment:

Franchesca said...

Your kids have a whackamole game? Seriously?? Ohh we HAVE to do a playdate! *laughs*

I love those summer moments that you could never organize in exactly that way to have exactly that kind of fun. It's always better when it's found on its own.