Thursday, October 30, 2008

Parent-Teacher Conferences and me...

I didn't realize that it was okay for parents to bring their children with them to Parent/Teacher Conferences. Dirty and I always found a sitter, or went alone, and thought that that was protocol. However, tonight, because we had two boys at the same school, we decided to divide and conquer. This was so not a problem there were kids with every parent I saw there that evening. Our conference times were staggered so that in the best scenario we would have been able to make both meetings together. In the end, though, Monkey's teacher was running 5-10 minutes behind and The Scientist's must have been a little ahead of schedule.

I took Monkey and went to talk to Mrs. B. She has been there since she was a student teacher and both of her boys went to the school as well. She is fantastic and I think Monkey really likes her. She keeps a "portfolio" for each child with pictures of them in class, what their favorite things to do are, and their progress throughout the year. We then went over what he's accomplished in the 8 weeks or so that he's been in school. His memory for things is better than average. He knows 24 of the letters, and their sounds, which is way above the average. He didn't know any of his letters when he started class. Half of the letters he knows Mrs. B hasn't even covered in class yet. He also really loves the dancing and moving time. (Surprise!)

Dirty went with The Scientist, who's teacher was ahead of schedule, and they went over his report card. He's doing really well. His major strengths are counting money (surprise!), math, and especially science which he excelled at. The scientist is doing much better in Art this year. His Art teacher stops me in the halls, every now and then, to tell me that he did great with this project, or it made her so happy that, out of all the class, he remembered this that she'd talked about before. His teacher Mr. C. also said that he's a talker, but that he's very good about knowing when it's an appropriate time.

Both boys, during the conferences, went off to a corner of their rooms and either read quietly (The Scientist) or observed leaves with a magnifying glass very quietly (Monkey) while we talked with their teachers. I had no idea that bringing them was an option. I'm so proud of both of them I could burst right now.

An update on my biology test grade is that I actually scored an 84 (94 with my supplemental quiz) so my average is actually higher than a 96. I changed three of my answers on the test so I could have scored a 90 (100 with my supplemental quiz). I still have a pretty high "A" in the class.

I was in an extremely good mood today and kept thinking throughout the morning/afternoon...GO SCHOOL!!!

1 comment:

HalfPint said...

This is what both teachers said as we entered, "Oh! The whole Patty-G'Sell family. What a treat!" I think they meant it was a treat, but maybe not. They do student lead conferences - so the extra child watched the youngest child. After both conferences we all worked as a family to clean up the mess Babers made - he undid games with tiny pieces, threw magnet alphabets about, dismantled a pencil sharpener, washed his hands and the floor in front of the sink......hmmm....maybe they didn't really mean it was a treat.