Monday, March 31, 2008

I'm going back to school...

This is an update on the ever changing school situation that happens at our house. Monkey was accepted to full-day five days a week preschool at White/Yellow Belt's school. Originally I got a rejection letter. While we were under this assumption I was entertaining the idea of not pursuing nursing school but going to culinary school. Then after some thought I decided that I will always love to cook and that after getting a nursing degree I could always go back to culinary school. That is when I got the acceptance agreement for Monkey where I had to agree to take him to and pick him up from school every day and that it is a full-day five day a week program. I was at the Recruitment and Counseling office the next day with the acceptance agreement to hand deliver the letter.

The next step to me going to school is paying a bill that I never paid at SMSU, currently MSU. So I called and asked what the total was at this point in time and they said, "$2,821.80". No big deal, I thought, we almost have enough to cover that saved up. So then I was thinking, "I wonder if they would settle for a smaller amount?" It took me a week to finally get around to calling them but I am really glad that I did. I had originally asked for them to send me a bill but then asked about a possible settlement. The lady I was talking to transferred me to a different lady who put me on hold for a couple minutes to "make some calculations". When she came back on the line she said that if I make a lump sum payment and if I can do it in 30 days they will settle for $1950.00 How's that for debt reduction? So tomorrow I will call the Bursar's Office and pay the bill over the phone. And my transcripts will no longer be held hostage. :D

Step three for me going back to school will be applying for colleges. I will most likely go to UMSL because I've heard good things about the nurses coming from that school. The community colleges have good programs as well but there is a two year waiting list so I might as well go and get a four year degree. I've also been asked, "Why not SLU it's two minutes from your house?" To those people I have asked if they would like to sponsor me going to that school, or any other private university for that matter, because I'm paying for this myself and I would rather not be paying for it the rest of my life. I have many other things that I would like to spend money on.

I'm really quite excited that I'm actually doing this. I'm going to miss being a stay-at-home-mom. I think I will enjoy being a student though...and eventually a nurse.

2 comments:

HalfPint said...

You may already have looked into these schools, but MO Baptist has a nursing program - used to be a great one, also Maryville. I know several people who have attended both and went on to get Dr.s degree.
Looking at MO Bap site I couldn't find the nursing school - but I did find this application for a scholarship -
http://www.missouribaptist.org/mobaptist_content.aspx?id=5213
Maryville site for nursing -
http://www.maryville.edu/academics/hp/Nursing/

Congrats on your decision!!!

Me said...

I decided on UMSL because of location. I like that I could hop on Metrolink and not have to drive.