Monday, February 25, 2008

I heart mat Pilates...

Last week I did a Pilates routine 3 days!!! To anyone who works out regularly this is lame. However, it is a new milestone for me. This morning I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and did a mat routine. YAY!!! I'm still working on the cardio aspect of working out. I have a mini-stepper but my heart rate doesn't really raise that much when I use it. It is basically just something to keep me moving instead of sitting on my bottom and doing nothing...like I am right now.

My motivation right now has to do with Joseph Pilates' motto for using Pilates to strengthen your core as well as the rest of your body, "You will feel better in 10 sessions, look better in 20 sessions, and have a completely new body in 30 sessions!" The exclaimation may just be my video instructor, Ana Caban, being her inspirational peppy self. I've never seen or heard Joseph Pilates speak so maybe it was him...I just don't know. But for anyone who is really bad at simple math, or have maybe just gotten lost in my rambling, I'm down 4 sessions. Only 26 sessions to go for my "completely new body". If I can keep on target with 3 sessions a week I could have my transformed body in 10 weeks!!! Exciting I know.

I may only have completed 4 sessions but I will say that I am already feeling better. I definitely feel that my tush and my tummy are feeling tighter. I notice that even when I'm at rest (standing or now sitting and typing) I feel my muscles are tensed...even if right now it's just a little. :D I read once in a magazine that for my body-type (that would be short aka petite with an hour-glass figure and when I put on even five pounds it makes a B.I.G. difference) Pilates is actually the ideal workout for me. I personally think that Pilates is the ideal workout for ANYONE because it can so easily be modified and challenging for all skill levels. Plus I think that any time you can stretch while working out that's a good thing because I don't like to take the extra time to stretch. I like the flexibility that I gain in addition to the strength. I know that yoga also incorporates these two things, but even though I like yoga, I don't like it as much as Pilates.

Eventually I want to be able to afford, and have time for for that matter, to go to a Pilates studio and use Pilates equipment with my workout. Although right now mat Pilates is all I really need...because I'm in the very beginning of getting back in shape.

4 comments:

HalfPint said...

You would also love the Fusion class at the Y. It is a combo of Yoga (the hard poses), Pilates and basic hand weights. Very good class. Great job finding something you enjoy doing!

Me said...

I have a couple "fusion" videos with yoga, Pilates, and weights. Which I will do...eventually. It's super easy for me to do the mat Pilates because I've memorized the routine from doing the video so many times. Pilates is actually what I used to get into shape after I had Julien. I was in really good shape when I got pregnant with Marcus. I want to be there again. :D

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

I just signed up for a three month unlimited package for Bikram Yoga. My goal is to go a minimum of three days during the work week. I signed up on Monday and went Monday, recovered yesterday, and then went again today.

It will be nice to get the first five classes out of the way!

Me said...

I did my number five workout today and added another 25 minutes onto my startup 25 minutes. I really didn't feel like doing any of it but once I was finished I was glad that I forced myself.