Friday, February 15, 2008

The start of a four day weekend...

For White Belt that is. He was starting to get totally burned out. So I'm glad that he's getting a decent break. We had a nice slow wake up this morning which may or may not have included candy from yesterdays Valentine's Day extravaganza. I will not incriminate myself for not stopping it or the boys for sneaking it. :D And after I got an uninterrupted shower with minimal damage to the house I made french toast for breakfast which neither of the boys snubbed their noses at.

Then we went to Whittle Shortline Railroad which I think is in Fenton. Now unfortunately my boys are not the playing-with-trains-on-fully-stocked-train-tables-for-hours-on-end types of boys. So after one cup of extremely cheap (Only $1. Very cheap in these days of coffee house franchises) but tasty coffee and maybe two paragraphs of adult interaction for me we left. This may not seem like much time since it took us 20 minutes to drive there but I got a short mommy playdate with my friends RE and EL. They had to leave after an hour also because their even younger children were starting to break down.

After Whittle we went to Steak 'n Shake. We had a pretty nice lunch. Although White Belt started a very loud explaination about different orangutans. The young professionals at the closest inhabited table started whispering to each other and laughing a little. And even though I was slightly lost because I haven't been watching the same show that he has I always enjoying watching his excitement. I told him more than a year ago that if he was going to be a zoologist that he could work at the zoo throughout high school, and after he could go to the jungles of Borneo and volunteer at the orangutan orphanages. Well, I lost him talking about internships and such but after watching Orangutan Island he now wants to go to the jungles of Borneo when he's grown up to see the orangutans there. AWESOME!!!

Then we made an impromptu visit to the P's. There I had another short mommy playdate with SP and EO. Two separate mommy playdates in one day. SCORE!!! Monkey broke at least one toy while we were there and was in a sort of destructive mood. I guess playing with trains didn't cut it as far as getting destructive energy out.

So then we left there to get ready for the Friday night swim which happens almost weekly at our house. (sans myself because I don't especially enjoy getting into a bathing suit any time but it's really not worth it if you don't get to lay in the sun.) We packed up and brought some clementine's for snacks in the car. We were supposed to meet Dirty at 4:15-ish at the Heights. We got there slightly after four which was good because then the boys got about 25 minutes of running around and playground time since Dirty was running late. I should have skipped the afternoon playdate and just taken them to a playground. They desperately needed it. Once Dirty showed up he left his bag with me since our locker lock has disappeared and we are too cheap to go buy another $4 lock we'd rather just ask if the lost lock has been found somewhere in the house. He also reminded me repeatedly that I was not to leave his bag in the car. Period.

I left to go buy a pizza for the boys at Schnucks and my secret plans to get my car washed. I didn't tell Dirty that I had added a car wash to my last gas purchase because he thinks they are a waste...and yet we have never ever washed our cars at home. I think he's okay with the wash your car yourself car wash. When I got to Smitty's SoKing Amoco though there was a pretty long line for the car wash. So I decided to run to Schnucks first and get the pizza.

The line for the car wash should shorten by then, right? Wrong. There were exactly as many cars in line when I got there the second time as when I left the first time only with two new cars. I rarely have alone time in my car to just sit since I have no commute except for White Belt and Monkey's school drop offs. And even though I could come back during the week I have nothing better to do (disgusting kitchen and ridiculously untidy house aside) so I decide to stay. Now it is my belief that when you get anyone behind you in line you are committed because there is no way to back out without inconveniencing anyone. This didn't stop the young lady behind me from asking no less than five drivers behind her to back up out of the line so that she could get out of the queue. I was slightly shock that she would ask other drivers to do that and slightly in awe of her asking other drivers to do that.

I, however, took the time to detail my car as much as is humanly possible with one empty grocery shopping bag and baby wipes. We rarely use baby wipes anymore now that both boys are potty trained but baby wipes are a very useful tool at any age. They must be scent free though because the scented ones give me a headache. I also cleaned out my messenger bag. I started worrying, after 45 minutes of waiting to get my car washed, that Dirty was going to hit his proverbial wall for the day because of hunger and be heading home. I knew what the boys have eaten today and knew that they would also be hungry. Sometimes my oven goes on strike and doesn't like to heat up in a timely fashion. To get home and heat the oven and cook the pizza in 20 minutes is unlikely in even the best of circumstances. I'm only one car back now. I'm getting excited and slightly worried that some wierd malfunction is going to cause me to not get my car wash like an unauthorized code or something. Entering my code runs smoothly even though I don't think I got the undercarriage wash that I paid for. My car almost looks like I don't live with three human boys that trash it on a daily basis.

I drive home and pull up hoping that this will be the one time that Dirty stays longer than an hour by himself at the pool with the boys. My cell phone rings and he's on his way home. He'll be home in about 15 minutes. I have 15 minutes to get the pizza ready. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! I work faster without the boys home but there's no way that I am going to tidy the house and clean the kitchen in the little bit of alone time that I have. They get home hungry and the pizza still has 20 minutes left. Luckily Dirty stayed home long enough to plaster the children in front of the tv so I can finish "making" dinner and cleaning the kitchen. The boys were very excited that food was ready, came in ate dinner, and then dispersed to further chill out for the day in front of the television. I cooked a pizza for myself and then ate while watching SuperWhy with Monkey. We then all watched the second half of Curious George together after which White Belt went to the living room to his weekend bedroom. Monkey passed out while watching Lazy Town. And I've spent most of the evening that I haven't been moving on this super long blog. (The only kind I can write apparently.)

Oh and did I mention that Dirty was going out tonight with his work friends. I know, I know. I'm totally a superwoman...for today anyway.

1 comment:

HalfPint said...

Yeah for time wasted creating a super long blog!! We miss the "loaning" of our children to you for swim nights. Now we have to take them every Monday night ourselves. Oh, and let Dirty know that SuperStar wears more then just undies now. That is still one of my favorite stories - him hiding his eyes from the apparent discomfort of seeing a 5 year old girl in her undies at the door.